St George's Hill History
Initially thought to be a roman fort during Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain in 54BC, further study revealed that the area was first settled during the Iron Age probably sometime between 700-600BC. The ancient remains of this fort now can be found in private gardens in the estate with some of the houses named after these historic sites.
In 1649 the hill saw what is often thought of as the start of Socialism in England when it was occupied by a group known as The Diggers led by Gerald Winstanley. The group cultivated and lived off the land until eventually they were forced off the land by local villagers.
In 1800 the land ceased to common land and was acquired by Frederick, Duke of York who is well known in folklore as 'The Grand Old Duke' - although there is no evidence to suggest St George's Hill was the hill that he made 10,000 men march up and then down.
The land was auctioned off in 1846 where it was acquired by Lord Francis Egerton before being purchased by Walter George Tarrant, the founder of the estate we know today.
WG Tarrant had a specific vision for the estate and begun by publishing a prospectus of the estate named Ideal Designs for Houses to be erected on St George's Hill, Weybridge. This set out his plan for a "limited number of high-class country houses on lines worthy of its [St George's Hill's] traditions.... no expense has been, or will be, spared to make the Estate the most desirable place of residence within easy reach of London".
Planning permission was granted for the first five houses in 1912, and in 1913 an 18 hole golf course was opened - the first ever to be included in a residential estate in England.
The Estate today
Today the estate includes the original 18 hole golf course plus an additional 9 hole course. There is also a tennis club featuring 15 lawn, 15 artificial grass and 2 indoor courts, as well as 4 squash courts, a 20m swimming pool, steam room, sauna and beauty spa.
There are approximately 420 houses, which according to the rules of the estate must have at least an acre of land, of which the house cannot make up more than 20 per cent.
The estate is accessed by a private, gated road which is controlled during the day by the estate's security personnel and is restricted at all times. This provides fantastic peace of mind and ensures privacy for many of the estate's high profile residents.