Winter safety tips
Despite the warm autumn, winter weather will soon be in full swing so now is the time to check that your property and tenants are properly protected against the wind, rain and snow.
Here are the top checks that we recommend you carry out:
- Clear autumn leaves out of the guttering and away from blocking drains
- Check fences and out buildings are in good repair to withstand winter winds
- Check pipes for any leaks or blocks and make sure they won’t freeze during cold snaps by leaving the heating on low
- Make sure all appliances are in good working order and PAT tested
- Ensure chimneys have been swept
- Make sure tenants know where the stopcock is and have a torch to hand, in case of emergencies
- Lastly, if your boiler hasn’t been serviced yet this year, arrange one now
If we are managing your property, we should pick up problems in advance through the routine periodic checks we carry out, hopefully keeping your costs and emergency call-out charges to a minimum should anything go wrong.
A final reminder of your obligation in relation to insurance, if your property is left vacant you should check your policy to see when the insurance company is to be notified. Failure to nofity them could invalidate your insurance.
For more information about property management, visit Savills.co.uk or your local lettings expert.