From first impressions to gardening, here are five top tips to selling your property in Battersea.
1. Battersea is unique in that offers such a diverse type of living to a wider demographic of buyers. It is a very family oriented area (there’s a reason why the borough of Wandsworth is known as Nappy Valley!), with fantastic schools and the wonderful open spaces of Battersea Park, with Clapham Common and Wandsworth Common nearby. If your property is within a current catchment area for a good school, make sure this is made clear to possible buyers – it could make all the difference.
2. The area attracts many upsizers, many planning to start or expand their family, so if you're aiming at that market, make sure your home is child-friendly with good storage and no sharp edges.
3. The attractive red brick Mansion blocks around Battersea Park, like those on Prince of Wales Drive, Albert Bridge Road and Lurline Gardens, are incredibly popular and a lot of buyers look for these flats in particular. These cover a wide range of the market from overseas buyers, downsizers and are also perfect for a pied-à-terre. If you are selling one, it is good to pay a little attention to the communal area and try to keep them free from clutter. Whilst you may not be able to redecorate, having a clean and tidy entrance area can go a long way to a positive first impression. The key to their popularity is that they are attractive from the outside and offer excellent ceiling height.
4. Battersea properties traditionally have more compact gardens. Don’t think this will deter buyers, but take advantage of the space you have and treat it as another room. Make a trip to Neal’s Nurseries or Homebase in nearby Wandsworth Town where you can pick up plants, pots and furniture to spruce the garden up. Don’t forget Battersea Park nearby too, this is a fairly popular extension to your garden.
5. With its fantastic location, incredible new developments in the area and good transport links, Battersea is also very popular with first time buyers. They often want a good second bedroom to rent to a friend, so if you have a smaller bedroom, make sure to show how it can work well with a bed and some storage.