Islington has a fantastic variety of properties on offer, largely harking back to its Georgian and Victorian roots. Here are five top tips to selling your property in Islington.
1. Buyers in Islington love period features, so when decorating or furnishing your property, be sure not to hide these as they can often be strong selling points.
2. The gardens in Islington may not be the largest in London, but some are incredibly beautiful private spots. If you’re selling in winter, have a few photographs of the garden in spring and summer to hand, as it can be difficult to imagine the beds and borders in full bloom.
3. There are 41 Conservation Areas in Islington. Such areas are generally highly sought-after but buyers will want to know about any restrictions, such as whether they can put up a satellite dish or change the colour of the front door. If you are selling in a Conservation Area, read up on the rules.
4. Parking – as in many other boroughs – can be difficult. Islington council raised more than £22 million in parking fines in two years. If you live in an area where parking is restricted, consider giving potential buyers a visitors permit. £11 for a book of 20 30-minute permits could be a worthwhile investment.
5. If you live in the area around Emirates Stadium, avoid viewings on match days when parking restrictions are in place, local roads can be difficult to navigate and both Highbury & Islington and Arsenal underground stations are over-crowded. But bear in mind that your buyers may well be Arsenal fans so if you support a different team, it might be politic to hide the evidence.