The Georgian Group Architectural Awards 2013, winners announced - Sponsored by Savills
30 October 2013
Last night the winning schemes were announced for the 2013 Georgian Group Awards, sponsored by Savills. The awards, which are now in their eleventh year, seek to recognise those who have shown the vision and commitment to restore Georgian buildings and landscapes from all over Britain. This year, a total of seventy five schemes were entered for the awards, which were presented at Christie’s by The Most Hon. The Marquess of Salisbury K.C.V.O.
Crispin Holborow of Savills Country House Department and a member of the judging panel, says “What struck me most about this year’s shortlisted entries was the effort that has gone into the detail of these projects. Whether it be the restoration of a grand country house, the recreation of a Georgian landscape or a new building, in the classical tradition it is clear that the Georgian principles of design are more popular than ever. Some of the entries are particularly heroic because they are have been carried out with little hope of a commercial return. It displays a deep seated passion for these buildings and the Georgian period.”
The winning schemes (by category) are:
RESTORATION OF A GEORGIAN COUNTRY HOUSE
WINNER: Townhead, Slaidburn, Lancaster – Brewster Bye Architects (conservation management plan) for Robert Staples
This early C18th stone house had previously appeared on English Heritage’s ‘Buildings at Risk’ register. Acquired by the present owners in 2010, the house has been fully and conservatively restored using sensitive minimal intervention and traditional methods and materials in accordance with English Heritage standards, requirements and best practice
COMMENDED: Hadlow Tower, Tonbridge, Kent – Thomas Ford and Partners for The Vivat Trust
Built in 1832 as an addition to the existing Hadlow Castle, this 185ft Gothic brick folly was originally covered in Roman cement, to give the appearance of stone featuring intricate pre-cast mouldings, splash detail and decorative features adorning the cement covering. After falling into disrepair and featuring on the World Monuments Fund Watch List in 2003, the tower has undergone 10 years of work and is now fully restored and refaced.
RESTORATION OF A GEORGIAN INTERIOR
WINNER: Theatre Royal Drury Lane, London – RHWL for The Really Useful Group Theatres
Completed in time to celebrate the theatre’s 350th anniversary, work on the Theatre Royal Drury Lane initially centred around the renovation of the Grand Saloon, although as the project progressed, restoration of the King’s and Prince’s Staircases, and the Rotunda were also completed, including the refurbishment and refitting of room features, as well as the restoration of the original central window. The project Architect Norman Bragg headed the specialist team with advice provided by John Earl (Theatres Historian), Lisa Oestreicher (Paint Researcher) and Edward Bulmer (Historic Design) to match as closely as possible with Benjamin Dean Wyatt’s original design. An installation of a copy of Canova’s stunning sculpture The Three Graces completed the Rotunda.
COMMENDED: Great Fulford, near Exeter, Devon – Ceiling by Geoffrey Preston for Francis Fulford
This project saw the restoration of the C17th double cube Dining Room including the fitting of a newly decorated plaster ceiling. The original ceiling had collapsed in the C19th and the room was consequently deemed unstable and was abandoned until the C20th. On the surrounding walls, the original 1700 picture hang has also been largely reinstated.
RESTORATION OF A GEORGIAN BUILDING IN AN URBAN SETTING
WINNER: Moystn House, 42 Vale St, Denbigh – Milrick Ltd for John and Janis Franklin
Constructed in 1722 as a town house for an important family, the house underwent extensive C20th work converting the space into shops. Restored with the help of Denbighshire County Council, with funds from Townscape Heritage Initiative and Heritage Lottery Fund support, the house has been returned to a dwelling. The main elevation has been returned to its original appearance by removing pebbledash, repairing quoins, lime washing the façade, and re-creating lost interior oak paneling and staircase.
COMMENDED: 107 Great Mersey Street, Liverpool L5 – Brock Carmichael for Rotunda Ltd.
Built in the 1820s, this house is the only Georgian building left in the Kirkdale area of Liverpool, near the docks. Following years of disuse and a major fire, the atrocious condition of the house placed it on the Buildings at Risk register in 2003, with an Urgent Works notice served in 2007. The building has since undergone an extensive HLF-funded project restoring the principal facades and the internal fabric creating space as a community led centre for formal and informal learning.
COMMENDED: 116 High St, Boston, Lincolnshire – Anderson and Glenn for Heritage Lincolnshire
Built initially as a merchant’s townhouse and later serving as Lincolnshire’s first private bank, this historic building has been carefully conserved whilst being converted into a modern office complex, and has led the regeneration in this area of Boston. Having been on the ‘Heritage at Risk’ register, the building was compulsorily purchased by the Local Authority and lost features restored by Building Preservation trust supported by Architectural Heritage Fund and HLF.
REUSE OF A GEORGIAN BUILDING
WINNER: St. Helen’s House, Derby – Brownhill Hayward Brown for Richard Blunt
Built in 1766, this is one of the finest C18th townhouses to survive in a provincial city. In educational use between 1860 and 2004, the house was bought in 2006 and has since been fully restored by Richard Blunt who has won two Georgian House Awards over the last ten years.
COMMENDED: Norwood House, Beverley, East Riding – Elevation Design for The Brantingham Group (specialist advice from Patrick Baty)
This Grade I Listed townhouse had been used as a schoolhouse for over 80 years before deteriorating to the point where it was formally at risk – arson had damaged the Rococo drawing room and the 1825 Grecian library. Having been sympathetically restored, the house is now let to a culinary school, and used in part as a restaurant.
COMMENDED: Stable Block, Sulby Hall, Northants – JWA Architects for Mr and Mrs Sandercock
Attributed to John Soane, 1790s, Sulby Hall was demolished in 1952, with the stable block surviving in various uses, yet by 2005, it was roofless and in ruins. Natural England instigated restoration as part of a management plan for the owner’s mixed farm, and the stable block – now fully restored – is used as a stable yard in a national horse breeding programme.
RESTORATION OF A GEORGIAN GARDEN AND LANDSCAPE
WINNER: Repton pleasure grounds, Woburn, Bedfordshire – Woburn Abbey gardeners for The Duke of Bedford
For the past seven years with the use of maps and Repton’s illustrations, restoration - and re-creation where lost – has been undertaken of the Georgian pleasure gardens and garden buildings, including Holland’s Chinese dairy, Repton’s pagoda, temple, aviary and cone house and Wyatville’s Camelia House.
COMMENDED: Cow Pond, Windsor Great Park, Berkshire – Russ Canning for the Crown Estate
Part of the ten-year Royal Landscape Project to reinstate the lost historic landscape of Windsor Great Park. Cow Pond, part of Wise’s 1712 plan for the Park and taking the form of a canal, was overgrown by 2008 and had regressed to a swamp. Restoration of one of the few remaining Baroque features at Windsor included dredging and draining has taken place, along with the construction of a Baroque footbridge and an arbour and new planting.
COMMENDED: Sir James Tillie Mausoleum, Pentillie Castle, Saltash, Cornwall – Cliveden Conservation for Ted Coryton
Thought to be the earliest garden Mausoleum in the country, it was in ruins and covered in vegetation when Pentillie was acquired by the current owners in 2007. Now fully restored following an in-depth archaeological survey, the damaged Tillie statue has also been fully repaired, and an unknown vault excavated.
NEW BUILDING IN THE CLASSICAL TRADITION
WINNER: Onslow Park, near Shrewsbury, Salop – Craig Hamilton for Mr and Mrs John Wingfield
Schinkelesque country house on an established country estate. Five bays wide, the centre three bays are slightly recessed with arched openings to the ground floor, forming an arcade on the garden front. The façade has been rendered with stone dressing, and the interior features a top-lit stair hall with gallery, and spiral cantilevered staircase.
COMMENDED: Oval cricket ground, London SE11 (new forecourt pavilion) – Hugh Petter of Adam Architecture for Surrey County Cricket Club
Forecourt pavilion in brick with Bath stone dressing, replacing the functional C20th banqueting suite. The central portico is articulated with stone columns featuring bespoke Prince of Wales feather capitals surmounted by stone urns of Louis de Soissons’ original design. These resonate with the famous Ashes trophy, containing ashes of the bails burned at the end of the fateful 1882 match which was played at The Oval. The historic Hobbs Gate has also been restored and relocated on an axis with the new portico.
GILES WORSLEY AWARD FOR A NEW BUILDING IN A GEORGIAN CONTEXT
WINNER: 8B Aubrey Road, London, W8 – Craig Hamilton Architects for Mr and Mrs Andrew Deacon
This new classical mews house replaces former mews on the grounds of 25 Holland Park Avenue, and dates from the 1820s. Soanean echoes feature in the design, and are particularly apparent in the recessed arches and rectangular sculpture gallery. A pedimented public façade includes a Diocletian window above the full-width front door, imitating a typical mews garage door.
COMMENDED: Bedford Row, Trinity Street, Borough, London SE1 – By and for London Realty
Adjoining Trinity church, this terrace of five ten-storey houses forms an infill development. Designed to harmonise with the surrounding environment, the development has since been well received by both the local community and Southwark council.
Savills Margaret Street
Savills Margaret Street
+44 (0) 20 7016 3889